Monday, November 15, 2021

Review: Knitting Modular Shawls

Title: Knitting Modular Shawls, Wraps and Stoles
Author: Melissa Leapman
Craft: Knitting Patterns
Rating: 5/5
# Patterns: 20+
Skill Level: Intermediate / Advanced

This book is more than a pattern book - it is a recipe book. In addition to providing 20 gorgeous shawl patterns, it also provides instructions for a "Choose Your Own Adventure" approach to designing your own shawls, with a LOT of increasingly elaborate stitch patterns (I was going to give an exact number, but there were too many, and I lost track while counting). I've been a knitter for awhile, and still some of them were completely new to me. My fingers are itching right now to sit down and play around with the components to create a truly personal shawl.

All stitch patterns are given as both charts and written instructions, with clear photos of each, knit up in a light yarn that really shows off the stitch definition. There is a HUGE variety in the stitch patterns, so it's obvious that Melissa Leapman put a lot of thought and work into this collection - it's definitely not something she could just have phoned in. I'm especially impressed by the section on adding horizontal or vertical insertions to shawl designs - a very simple design-element that few patterns incorporate, but which is extremely effective and really makes your shawl stand out. As for the section on borders, I'm biased - I absolutely love a nice perpendicular border, and Melissa has some amazing ones to try out here.

Photographs of the 20 patterns provided are spread out throughout the book. Each shawl is beautifully modeled, and shows wingspan, a close-up and a glamour shot for the full effect of the shawl. Project #10 is my personal favourite, and I can't wait to cast it on!

I know I'm gushing, but I'm really impressed by this book, and can't think of anything I'd add or change to make it better. It's not aimed at beginners, as it does require you to have some previous knowledge of knitting shawls, but I'd definitely recommend this book to any semi-experienced knitter who wants to take the next step towards creating his or her own designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment