Wednesday, December 7, 2016

WIP Wednesday: What's an Auntie to do?

I finished the HamilKnit Hat last Friday! I absolutely LOVED knitting it, although the star at the top was a bit of a hassle. But now it's done, and looking gooood :-) It gave me a really good introduction to two-handed fair isle. I still think it's faster to just keep both strands in one hand, but this way of doing it certainly made it a LOT easier to wrap the floats and made it look nice and even. I'm still not sure that I'm ready to start a full size fair isle sweater, but a few more of these and I might be ;) Besides, it was a FUN knit, and definitely something I want to do more of.

Saturday I had a good friend over for some "knit and chat" quality time. Always a pleasure to spend time with her, and I got quite a lot done on my Skew sock while she was here. I've been wanting to knit this pattern forever, and finally found the perfect yarn for it :) This is a merino, alpaca, possum nylon blend and will make for SUCH lovely warm socks once they're done.
Unfortunately I had a slight #whenknittingattacks that same evening, as I accidentally broke one of the needles! :-/ Fortunately I have a spare set, but still...

Last week sometime my 7-year-old niece sent me a text message asking me if I'd knit some clothes for her doll! Of course I said yes :) It was actually quite a fun challenge, as I had to design the patterns myself (the doll's an odd size, so I couldn't use any of the patterns I found on ravelry), and I ended up making a skirt, a cardigan, a dress and a pair of socks! The items are currently blocking, so I can get them dry and the ends weaved in by Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice stranded colourwork. And what agood idea to do several of those types of smaller projects before tackling a sweater. I've always wanted to knit an Alice Starmore sweater but am too intimidated to make that kind of an investment in materials!

    Merino/Alpaca/Nylon will definitely be warm - too warm for me but a lovely colour way nonetheless.

    So sweet of you to design and make doll clothes for your niece! I made a couple of Barbie outfits once but found them quite fiddly,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I've been wanting to knit "Little Birds" by Ysolda Teague for awhile, but it's just such a daunting project to start with! This hat was much more manageable :)

    ReplyDelete