Wednesday, March 14, 2018

WIP Wednesday - Week 11

I have a finished item - weeee!!! :-D

Yes, I FINALLY finished the cardigan for Granddad. I finished off the button band weekend before last, and put it down to block immediately. Fortunately I already owned suitable buttons for it, so as soon as it was dry (after a quick spin in the dryer to tighten things up a bit again) I got all the ends weaved in and the buttons sewn on (still really not a fan of sewing on buttons.... *sigh*). I finished this at 7pm Thursday evening, and immediately called Granddad to ask if he was home that evening, and if I could come over to hand him his Christmas present. Fortunately he was and I could, and it fits him perfectly! ... Well, it is a little big, but he likes his sweaters loose, so that's just fine with him :-)

It was a fun knit, but I'm glad to have it over and done with. Now I just need to finish Peter's cardigan and then I'm DONE with gift knitting for awhile.

Speaking of Peter's cardigan, that one is coming along really nicely too :) I've finished one sleeve now and am well on my way on the second. They look oddly short compared to the body but fit the measurements I was given, so I'm going to trust my measurements and hope for the best. Fortunately adding a bit of length to sleeves is one of the EASIEST modifications to make post-finishing.

I did also allow myself to knit on something else though. After finishing Graddad's cardigan I felt I was due for a treat, so I picked up my Exploration Station and have finished another two sections there! I really love the way it's turning out, and can't wait to finish so I can see how big it'll get post-blocking.

Oh, I almost forgot (until I started adding photos) - I've also finished another gift-knit - the Maluka shawlette knit out of MadTosh merino light. It's so lovely soft and I can't wait to give it to my sister for her birthday :-)
Unfortunately, while it was a fun knit, I wasn't too impressed by the finished shawl. It was a LOT smaller than I had expected, and the edge rolled quite a bit. I ripped back and added a few rows of reverse stockinette which helped a lot, and blocking took care of the rest. I also added a bit of length to either side which made it into more of a shawlette and less of a handkerchief. In the end, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Hopefully Nina will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment