Last week I finally realized that there was no way I was ever going to finish them. Besides, my knitting has changed a LOT since then (I now know how to purl properly instead of the made-up fashion I used then ;) ), so any square I made now wouldn't look like the others anyway.
All in all I figured that making an afghan/blanket size thingie out of this was doomed to fail. I'd need another 80 of the squares, and I just didn't see that happening. However, I figured that the squares I did have would be just enough for a decent sized baby blanket! Not that I know of anybody close to me who's pregnant at the moment, but at my age that's bound to change at any time, and this way I would have it ready in plenty of time :)
Took me about a week, but I finally managed to get all the squares sewn up, and I must admit, I LOVE the result! Almost a shame I gave up on the blanket idea, but it's going to make for one awesome babyblanket :)
(Since finishing this up I actually have heard of somebody close to me who's pregnant, so now I know exactly who to give it to! Perfect timing :) Just hope it'll be a girl, as the colours are perhaps just a tad too pink for a boy.)