Wednesday, July 9, 2014

WIP Wednesday - On the Needles and Between the Pages

On the Needles
I've finished 4 ornaments for the "Christmas in July" CAL so far :) Think I still want to do another 2-3, but we'll see. The baubles are inspired by Christmas Baubles by Mona Schmidt. The hearts are my own invention :)
The hearts are based on traditional Danish Christmas hearts - we usually make them out of paper, but I've been wanting to try to knit some! The red/white heart was my prototype, which is why the white side looks kind of wonky, but I'm really happy with how the red side turned out.
The red/green heart was to try to make one with 3 stripes of each colour instead of just two. That was a bit of a hassle to fold (SO much easier in paper!) so I don't think I'll try to make them any larger just now.

I've tried to type up the pattern, and am thinking of publishing it, so send me a note if you want to give it a trial run :)

Other than that, I've been knitting a bit on my Braided Swirl Socks - I need to finish this by next Tuesday, so I should get a move on! Fortunately I have a knitting event planned on Saturday, so at least I'll have plenty of knitting time then :)
The photo is a couple of days old. I think I've added another 10-20 rounds. Still loving the pattern!

I finally finished the first sleeve on the Terra Linda Cardigan! I entered the big black hole of sleeve knitting, so it felt like it took forever! But just when I was about to put it away in disgust, I remembered that it was just half-sleeves and not full sleeves, and I was almost done!
Haven't picked up the stitches for the second sleeve yet though, as the needle tip fell out of the metal holder, and I had to glue them back together again. I'm not getting that tip anywhere near my project until I know for sure that it's dry!

Instead I cast on for my second Elfe - this time using a long gradient and ignoring the stripes of the original pattern. I'm only 20 rows into it, so only one colourchange so far, but I think it'll be awesome :)

Between the Pages
Back to reading the newest book in the Outlander series. For some reason I'd put it on the back burner, but I realized I really wanted to finish it before going on vacation. So I picked it back up again this weekend and am now flying through it. Gabaldon is still up to her old tricks, and I had to put it down once or twice because I just got SO frustrated by it, but the woman does know how to write, so I'm trying to trust her and just go along for the ride.

Stash Stories
Week before last I happened to bike past my local yarn store and discovered they were still having their 50% going out of business sale. The shelves were a lot more empty now though! Anyway, as can be expected, I fell down again :-P And came back up with another 4 50g skeins of sockyarn, 2 skeins of so-called "art yarn" and 3 skeins of the most amazingly soft cashmere-baby alpaca-merino blend. No clue what I'm going to use it for, but I just had to have it :)
I also went out to purchase some more of the Järbo Yarn Mio, as I've been commissioned to knit another "Sleeves" (by Martina Behm) for a friend of mine. I realized this would be perfect travel-knitting as it's knit in parts up until the back, so will be easy enough to carry around with me. Plus I've already knit it once, so I know the pattern :)

No comments:

Post a Comment