I first started the Puzzle Piece Blanket back in August 2012 and quickly realized that this would take forever, so once I started my Cozy Memories blanket, I decided to downgrade the PPB severly, and turn it into a runner instead. I determined how many more pieces I needed to knit, and set myself the goal of finishing in 2015. Stashdash seemed as good a time as any for it, and this weekend I sewed the last seam, weaved in the last end, and yesterday I could finally take it off the blocking mats!
I've cast on a new pair of socks! Because obviously I didn't have enough projects on the needles as it were. But I have a good excuse - I need some mindless knitting for next weekend, and my other socks were too close to being done. So what's a girl to do? She casts on a new pair, of course!
And I'm glad I did, because I'm totally in love with both the pattern, the yarn and the needles. I'm knitting the Adjoin Socks by Lara Neel (although I'm totally substituting the fish-lips-kiss heel!) with some Koigu yarn I bought in London. This is my first time knitting with Koigu, but it definitely won't be the last. It's SUCH a treat to knit with :)
Fortunately that's not too much of a sacrifice, as I have plenty of other projects on the go. I had hoped to have my Spot Check socks finished by today, but forgot to bring my purse along yesterday, so I had no train knitting to and from work. Kicking myself for that, I assure you! I only have one toe left to knit though, so I'll definitely finish today!
My 30 Valentines shawl is coming along nicely :) I'm at row 124 of the original 140 and have PLENTY of yarn left, so I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how many extra rows I can do, how to fit that with the repeats, and how on earth to calculate the rate of increase of yardage used per row, when I'm adding 4 extra stitches each row! No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to make it give me a useful result.
Then today it suddenly struck me - I should try counting stitches instead of trying to measure how much yarn I used per row, since that was changing constantly anyway! Excel to the rescue, and I quickly figured out that after 16226 stitches (the first 123 rows) I'd used up half the yarn! Adding the 40 rows of a full repeat would take me an extra 17416 stitches - not counting the bind off. No matter how I twist and turn it, I can't make that math work! So I have to find a way to fudge it and only add a half repeat. I don't have a lot of experience tweaking lace patterns, so that'll be fun :-P And it does make me kinda depressed to know I'm only 51% of the way through instead of almost done! But I tell myself that it'll be worth it in the end, having the much larger shawl and a lot more yardage for stashdash! ;)